Saturday, May 22, 2010

Six Word Saturday (5/22/10)

Graduation, party, hermits, oh boy.

Today my oldest son graduates from high school. We are having a BBQ at lunch and then the ceremony's tonight.  My husband and I rarely have people over, but when my sister suggested we have a BBQ, my mother-in-law (the Queen of England, no, she just acts like it) totally RAN with the idea.  And me and my husband have been praying for our deaths all week because having a bunch of shallow, critical people in our house just makes our skin crawl.  But at least my husband has one up on me, he doesn't CARE what they think of him.  I had been worried what they think of me, but then my husband told me I can actually choose to not like them FIRST (instead of worrying if they like me).

I started telling my mother and my husband's aunt what I shared with my almost-graduating son a few days ago - that I'm proud of him and he has been an exceptionally good kid and that I couldn't think of anything he's done that I've been ashamed of.  My mother said she was amazed he turned out so good considering everything he's been through (which hurt my feelings), and after I had said he never did anything wrong, my husband's aunt added "... that you know of" (which hurt my feelings too.

Sorry, people, Ian's a good kid, always has been, he's very helpful and strong and generous.  I'm not saying he's like that because I'm a good mom because I would love him even if he was an ax-murdering transvestite.  Some people are so shallow.

2 comments:

  1. Some people don't think before they speak and I can relate to a lot of what your saying. I would like to say Congrats Ian !!! It's a big milestone and I'm wishing him all the best !!!
    I know as being a Mom I would love mine no matter what too.
    Again Congrats and the BBQ sounds great !!!!

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to your son Ian on graduating! And phooey on those who think they need to bring you down!!

    ReplyDelete

Comment if you want