Michael J. Fox and Blue Meal
I'm a little over halfway done with Michael J. Fox's book "Lucky Man." It's a memoir he wrote after his Parkinson's Disease diagnosis went public. I ordered it online from the city library, and the copy they had available was a Large Print book but I don't mind. It has been interesting reading about his past - childhood and family, girlfriends, how he got into show business, etc. Unfortunately, Michael writes like a 10th grader, which is rather funny because he quit high school. He didn't help his case much by explaining that "high school" in Canada is ONLY TWO YEARS LONG! Okay, how hard is it to stick it out and coast for two years? Even if your grades suck, at least you'd have a diploma. As I read more of the book, I can tell the real Michael is in no way anything like Alex Keaton (his character from Family Ties). At least there was something likeable about Alex. Michael comes off as kind of an arrogant jerk. Also he talks frequently about his partying (drinking) and it's a turn-off for me. I can't stand people who think every event and every outing has to include some kind of alcohol. My parents are smug teetotalers and my husband's parents are those highbrow society drinkers (only the best alcohol for their mouth). I have one or two glasses of wine at a restaurant but we only go out for special occasions maybe three times a year.
Speaking of eating, today I'm going to a luncheon with some participants of my earlier Rachel's Vineyard retreats. The hostess is having a "blue meal." It is exactly how it sounds - everything we're going to eat is the color blue. Blue chip enchilada, salad with bleu cheese dressing, and so on. I am bringing blue raspberry jello with bananas in it. The luncheon has the same format every time. We eat and then we pray a five-decade rosary and then we go home. I really enjoy how accepted and comfortable I feel when I'm with these friends.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Comment if you want