Helping Rachel's Vineyard and My Antonia
On Monday I went to the house of the coordinator of the Rachel's Vineyard retreats to help put together information packets for the retreat this weekend. She had made nachos (in the oven) and chicken a la king over rice as a small meal first. There was one other lady and her two young adult children helping there as well. I folded a couple dozen mass programs. It felt really good to help out, and it always feels so comfortable being around people associated with the retreats, so I had a good time.
Since I haven't ordered Elizabeth Smart's book yet, I was looking around for something else to read. My daughter had to read Willa Cather's novel "My Antonia" over the summer for school, so I picked it up since she's done with it. She doesn't really like to read and thought it was a boring book, but it kind of reminds me of the Little House on the Prairie style books I used to read when I was her age (so I like it so far).
Actually, there's one more event I want to note. My father has another pacemaker surgery coming up on Wednesday. Last week in counseling I admitted that I feel about as concerned about his surgery as I would feel about Clint Eastwood having surgery; I'm that far removed from my family, especially him. I know I've disappointed him and embarrassed him and he won't forgive me and acts very uncomfortable around me. I told my therapist that the only thing that I'm worried about is if my father dies then he will get to see Claudia in heaven before I do. I know it sounds petty. For the past 29 years he has not said ONE WORD about my abortion, like it never even happened, and he'll get to see the baby from that event (who doesn't exist, as far as he's concerned) before I do. It just doesn't seem right to me.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Comment if you want