Broken Washer and Watching Turning Point
Sunday my husband loaded his clothes in the washer, started it, and then headed out to do errands with my daughter. I went to heat up my coffee in the microwave, and on my way back to my office room, I noticed the carpet in the hall was wet. I opened the door to the laundry room and there was water everywhere. I stepped inside and water completely covered my shoes. This is the second time this has happened. I didn't want my husband to have to come home from his errands so I tried to handle it myself. I spent over an hour sweeping water into the garage and soaking up the excess with clothes and towels. I started to really worry that my husband was going to be mad when he got home that everything was wet and the washer broken, so my youngest son suggested I call and warn him. Boy, was that the wrong thing to do! He yelled there was nothing he could do about it where he was, and I said I was just warning him, that's all. But since he's so much more important than me, he has to win all the time.
When he got home, I put away all the groceries so he could work on the washer. No matter what I did, it was the wrong thing. I was so sick of being yelled at. I still thank God it was my husband's clothes that were in the washer so at least he couldn't blame me for that. And then his little threat at the end of the day, "One of these days you're going to find yourself sitting on the curb alone with nothing and wonder what the hell happened." Isn't he so loving. Things are better between us now, but it's events like this which either turn me off completely or make me extremely desperate to get a full time job so I can leave.
Thursday night my friend from my first Rachel's Vineyard retreat and I went to San Albino (Catholic church) to watch the last movie of this Year of Faith monthly series. It was called "Turning Back: The Father Donald Calloway Story." It was basically just him sharing his testimony. First of all, why are some Catholic priests so cute?? Oh, he sure was. Anyway, he was born when his mother was 17 and she married three times. They weren't religious and he never had any rules so he got in trouble a lot and hung around with the wrong crowd (sex, drugs, stealing, etc.). His stepfather got transferred to Japan and at first he resisted going and then he decided he would be even MORE rebellious there. He was in the beginning stages of joining the Japanese Mafia and the authorities finally caught him. They made him and his mother leave the country. (His passport has a stamp in in that says "Don't ever come back.")
They lived in Pennsylvania but he ran away and got in more trouble so he had to come back home. He got put in rehab a couple times and his mother became a Catholic while he was gone. When he came back home, he saw a book in his room (about the mother of Jesus) that he decided to read since he was bored and didn't want to do drugs right then. Something in his heart changed. He didn't understand very much what he was reading but he "fell in love" with her. He slept like a baby because he finally felt loved. The next morning he threw away all his drug stuff, rock music, and freaky clothes because he just didn't want them anymore. He went to see a chaplain on the military base and talked his ear off, telling him everything he had done wrong. Eventually, he was baptized Catholic. Anyway, to make a long story short, by the grace of God he was able to go through college and seminary(?) to become a Catholic priest. Me and my friend talked on the way home that if there was hope for someone as bad as him, there should be hope for us.
Movies I watched this week
Sympathy For Delicious: I watched this the afternoon of the washer incident and it felt like a punishment because my husband was barely speaking to me (when he wasn't yelling at me, that is). There was a LOT of swearing which I didn't like, and the story was kind of slow but a good plot. The movie stars a real-life paraplegic who is a club DJ and lives in his car. He attends a "healing" service by a phony televangelist. There was another guy in a wheelchair who went to every healing service and still wasn't healed but he always acted happy (so the DJ doesn't like him). The DJ doesn't get healed but he finds out he himself can truly heal people (but he can't heal himself even though he tried, and he yelled the F-word out of frustration). A priest who helps the homeless notices the DJ's new "gift" after a man with Alzheimers starts walking around talking coherently. The priest finds out that this wealthy gentleman will give his Catholic charity $250,000 if the DJ would heal his daughter. The DJ gets really mad because he feels used by the priest, so he joins a band and their gimmick is him healing people. There are a couple of twists to the plot that I didn't see coming but I don't want to spoil it.
Fatal Attraction: I hadn't seen this movie for a good 25 years but I remembered watching it in the movie theater when it came out. I think everyone's seen it or at least heard about it by now. Back then I thought Michael Douglas looked pretty old and I thought Glenn Close was pretty, but not this time. Also just watching them flirting and being adulterous made me feel really uncomfortable, let alone the suspenseful parts when he finds out she's a fruitcake. I didn't watch it with my full attention because I couldn't stand it, and I wonder what kind of person I was back then that this movie appealed to me.
Windtalkers: This was supposed to be a movie about the Navajo Indians who helped the military in WWII develop an unbreakable secret code, so I watched it. Starred Nicolas Cage. I thought it was going to be the strategy/non-combat side of the war - NOPE! Oh my gosh, the battle scenes were gory and disgusting, and I ended up not finishing the movie.
I started reading Prayer in the Digital Age by Matt Swaim yesterday and so far it's very convicting but I love it.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Comment if you want