Friday, June 19, 2009

Lost sheep (literally)


Yesterday I was going to meet some friends at Applebee's, and my son wrote down the directions for me. I turned at the wrong time and ended up on the highway (something I'm so terrified of). I took the first exit off that I came to and wound up by Kmart. I just wanted to go home at that point, and I was sobbing and so upset, and I just told God how massively scared I was because I didn't know how to get home and that I felt really stupid for not knowing my way around town. My counselor got me in the habit of asking myself what God is thinking when I'm hurt, lonely, scared, etc., so I tried to envision God observing me sitting in the parking lot totally lost, and what came to my mind was SHEEP, not only because they're not the brightest animals but like how the Bible describes us as sheep and Jesus is the shepherd, and also the story of the shepherd who left his 99 other sheep to go find the one lost sheep of his herd. I felt like he was observing me as a literal lost sheep, and at that moment I felt so special. Getting lost like this is uniquely me, something God created in only me. I mean, the whole world must look at me as "short-bus" special for getting lost in a town I've lived in for 12 years, but God thinks I'm special. I don't feel like I'm bragging (when I say I feel special); I feel loved.








FYI: My son came to Kmart and let me follow him home; I didn't make it to Applebee's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment if you want