Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I quit following Challies blog

... and removed his quotes from my Facebook page and left the FB Challies group. Most of the time, his blog is fascinating because he is a voracious reader of Christian books and he is very smart. Till today. I think his blogging success has gone to his head. He wasn't very Christlike at all today. Basically, he wrote a very unkind post about "original sin" and that since babies can't make decisions for Christ, they don't go Heaven.

Yes, he touched a nerve because he wrote this entry based on some woman who said she was wrestling with having had two abortions. (He keeps saying he didn't write this entry to her so somehow it's okay to not be Christlike.) Some commenters have already mentioned this verse but I'm repeating it here:

Matthew 19:14 Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

And I don't think a child can get any more "little" than when he's one-minute-after-conception old, don't you?

1 John 2:2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

GotQuestions.org mentions this verse and adds (in a question about age of accountability):

This verse is clear that Jesus' death was sufficient for all sins, not just the sins of those who specifically have come to Him in faith. The fact that Christ's death was sufficient for all sin would allow the possibility of God’s applying that payment to those who were never capable of believing.

When the infant of Bathsheba and David died, David said, "I shall go to him, but he will not return to me." (the last part of 2 Sam. 12:23)


I know this probably won't fly with many people, but remember how John the Baptist (as a fetus) knew who Jesus was because John leapt in Elizabeth's womb when Mary (newly pregnant with Jesus) came into the room? John the Baptist (the fetus) never actually saw Jesus either that day, so couldn't the soul of a pre-born or otherwise young child know who Jesus is too?

I realize that one less person following his blog isn't going to faze Mr. Challies a bit, but I feel better. I miss Claudia. I just know she is not in hell, and I will see her again someday.

2 comments:

  1. The nerve of that guy. I've never heard of him but just by what you wrote here, I don't care to even know him. I don't like him very well at all just by him making that false assumption. It made me a little angry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say thanks for all your support!

    ReplyDelete

Comment if you want