Three years worth of counseling sessions
Today marks the 3-year anniversary of the first day I started counseling. No, I'm not going to give a rundown of everything I learned, but it is a lot.
The biggest thing I learned -- the best thing -- happened the very first day. This guy Mark who I'd never met before (and who never met me) listened to everything I said and I could tell he cared about me but the whole time I was there that day I couldn't get my head around WHY he did. Why would someone who doesn't even know what a bad person I am care about me??? Then he gave me a DVD to listen to of someone's counseling testimony. All the way home and even AT home I felt this comfortable softness, the same as I did at the office. I put the DVD in and listened; it was a college student. The thing that struck me so hard (even to this day), she said, "Mark was like Jesus to me." That's when I had my "Jacob moment."
Jacob from the Bible -- he had a dream about a stairway to heaven and God told him he would give him descendants and would watch over him. Jacob was sooo excited about it and said "Surely the LORD is in this place and I was not aware of it." (It's noteworthy that he used a stone for a pillow, a hard stone and it didn't bother him at all because he was having such a great dream.)
It wasn't Mark causing the comfortable softness I felt, it was God. As soon as she said that, I knew. "Surely the LORD is in this place and I was not aware of it."


What a beautiful post !! Happy 3 yr anniversary of counseling. {{HUGS}}
ReplyDeleteCaroline