Coming Home, Problems, and My Birthday
Sunday
the 7th after breakfast at the hotel we started the long drive home,
making it all the way to Raton, N.M., and stayed overnight at Holiday
Inn Express (indoor pool again). We ate at Pizza Hut and the people
there were exceptionally nice. Even though we warned the kids
continually about swimming safely and avoiding swimmer's ear, my
daughter finally confessed to me that her ear had been bothering her for
two days and was getting worse. My husband got some items at a
Wal-Mart to help clean her earwax with but she still couldn't hear out
of it even though the pain was better.
The
next day we drove the rest of the way home, stopping at a Taco Bell in
Belen. Belen is out in the middle of nowhere and this Taco Bell was out
in the middle of, out in the middle of, nowhere. When my husband saw
it, he commented in this little wistful voice, "It's like a little Taco
Bell oasis out in the desert." Too funny!
The
9th was my 46th birthday. Dunkin' Donuts was supposed to have their
grand opening but we drove by and it looked like it was still being
worked on, so my husband took me to Burger King for lunch instead, and
then for dinner we went to Texas Roadhouse and had a great dinner. My
kids and husband got me some Turtles candy and two pairs of earrings.
My mother-in-law got me a pedometer that you hook up to your USB drive
on the computer every night and a program keeps track of how many steps
you walk. I like it.
At
counseling on the 10th we did this exercise where a tender,
compassionate version of yourself sits in one chair and your hard-nosed
unforgiving (i.e. regular) self sits in another. I'm really hard on
myself about people not liking me, blaming myself for it, feeling like I
should be able to fix it somehow. Then my compassionate self commented
that it seriously hurts me to be rejected and I am just really
desperate to have friends and it can't be all my fault things aren't
working out. I felt listened to. I felt real. The surprising thing
was I truly didn't need "references" to back up how I feel. (Like
saying "my husband feels like this too" or "remember when so-and-so felt
the same thing.") I could just say "I feel like X" and mean it, and it
didn't cross my mind that someone might disagree or might want me to
feel something different.
On
Friday after my husband's helping my daughter nightly with ear washing,
my daughter went to my husband at 10:00 at night complaining about her
ear and he went ballistic. He helped her begrudgingly and I walked in
as she was laying on our bed while he was doing it. He yelled at me to
go away and I said I was getting ready for bed. He was glaring at me.
My daughter looked miserable and mouthed to me "I'm sorry." After she
got done, my husband quickly turned off the light and pretended to be
asleep before I could get in bed and talk to him about what happened.
The next morning my daughter had emailed me that he got mad at her for
flinching one of the times he squirted water in her ear. She said
whenever he took wax or water out of her ear after that, he squirted it
directly on her face. My heart was broken. I told her that was mean of
him and disgusting and I told her I'd take her to the doctor, even
though she has already been there twice for swimmer's ear this summer
and my husband didn't want her to get any more antibiotics because he
thinks she will become immune to it if she ever gets genuinely sick.
The worst part of this was both Saturday and Sunday he refused to speak
to my daughter at all. She's usually his errand buddy but she never got
to go anywhere with him. Because he was being so childish, he didn't
even talk to me Saturday! The most hurtful thing about the weekend
though was he would talk to my son like normal and act all friendly with
him, and then my daughter walks in the room and he'd glare at her and
walk out. Having to deal with that treatment from him myself is hard
enough, but it was torture watching my daughter suffer from it. He
loudly told my son that "maybe your mother should take your sister to
the doctor." Oh sure, it's a great idea if he's the one who thinks of
it, huh. I told her to stop going to her father for help


No comments:
Post a Comment
Comment if you want