Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Caring for Carleigh Reading (Chapter 11)

This chapter was about the family staying home a lot because they didn't want Anna exposed to any outside germs, and that included not going to church. I like how during this time Lynnette was able to reevaluate how she looked at the act of going to church, why people do it, what happens there between people, the faces people put on, social competitions, the relationships that happen, etc. I agree 100% with her that it's by far much worse to neglect your family that God has blessed you with in order to do stuff at church (just so people don't "talk" about you). This chapter kind of hit home with me because I decided to join a Galatians class and concentrate on learning Galatians rather than trying to connect with people.

Do you think that you can grow in faith without going to church?

Yes and no. Faith has a lot of different compartments to it, I think: reading your Bible, worshipping/singing, serving others, praying, learning. (I'm sure there are other compartments but I'm drawing a blank.) If you stay home, maybe you can do all of them but serving others would be a challenge. Or if you have laryngitis, worshipping and singing would be a challenge. When you go to church you can get all of those compartments filled.

1 comment:

  1. You realize how much of that happens when you just take a step back to evaluate. How many people are doing things to really serve? Makes you wonder!!

    ReplyDelete

Comment if you want