Jesus Would Say That Too -- NOT!
Yesterday the place where I volunteer had a pizza party and cake to celebrate all the volunteers with a birthday from July to December. Everything was going just fine till the end. The director started talking about one of the new volunteers ("C") who is only volunteering here to fulfill court probation. I've seen her a couple times but have only said hello, because she's usually in the middle of a big pile of lessons to stamp. Anyway, the director (the DIRECTOR!!!) starts telling everyone that "C" told him a few weeks ago that she was a lesbian. He told us he kind of figured she was since she wore masculine clothes and had a weird hairstyle. But holy moly, you'd have thought the director told everyone C was a serial killer with all the tongue clicking and shaking heads going on. I should've made up some excuse to go home, because the rest of what he said just broke my heart. He said he has a really hard time even saying hello to her -- get this, he has to PRAY that he has the strength to say hello to her. And of course everyone's all commiserating with him that she "has to" volunteer here. I was so sad hearing how unloving they sounded.
After everyone else started leaving, I went up to the director's wife and asked her if C got to choose where she volunteered (she did). Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you knew a really outspoken lesbian, do you think she'd CHOOSE to volunteer with Christians or would she pick some other place that's secular? Secular, right? I told the director's wife that the Bible study leader who I initially volunteered there with, had a list of probably 100 places in town that we could've volunteered at. I told the director's wife twice during my conversation that THERE MUST BE A REASON GOD HAS "C" VOLUNTEERING WITH US! Out of 100 places, she picked us.
I can't stop thinking about that Woman from the Well exercise we did at the retreat. Jesus KNEW she had five husbands, Jesus KNEW he "shouldn't" associate with her, but just the way Jesus was looking and speaking to her the woman KNEW Jesus loved her!!!! THAT'S why she got all excited and ran back to town telling everyone that Jesus knew all about her! Because she could tell he still LOVED HER!!!


Amen and beautiful post. I was raised knowing that we should treat those just like Jesus would. We are supposed to let our light shine to others. It's sad how so many treat one another. Beautiful post once again Deb.
ReplyDelete{{HUGS}}
Caroline